Verified Reviewer

Canceled flights, can't get a refund

Update by user Apr 27, 2020

Got an email from Norwegian airlines on 3-28-2020, that they were looking into this issue. I have followed up twice with emails asking how this was going.

I have heard nothing from them on these follow ups. My daughter sent requests for refunds three times hearing they were going to do nothing as this was beyond their control. I repeat they canceled out flight returning from England. Had we taken this trip my daughter and I would have been stuck in a foreign country with no way to return home to the United States!

They own us at the minimum of half our $$ for this trip. I also had a trip to New York scheduled in early May that got canceled by Southwest Airlines and got a full refund from this airline no problem. So please people who are going to look for trips to Europe when this is possible DON’T ever think about Norwegian airlines. Their customer service is a big 0.

Any help from anyone would be much appreciated. As two single mothers who saved years to afford this trip it is a huge hit to take.

Update by user Mar 28, 2020

Have an email stating a refund would be forthcoming after I paid the additional $350 charge for cance!ling

Original review posted by user Mar 28, 2020
Canceled plans tickets from Orlando, Fl . To London England due to corona virus. Was told a refund would follow after they charged me $350. to cancel. I agreed, as a part refund was better than nothing. Norwegian then cancelled the flight home, because England was in lockdown. Well they charged my account $359. And still no refund. It's been 3 weeks of my calling sometimes for hours before anyone answers the phone. Called my bank and got a hold on the $359. And now they call and say take that off and we will charge you $350. Then issue you a refund for that amount, then issue a credit for the flights. Can get no satisfaction, or answers about why a refund was not issued for at least half the trip, as they canceled the return flight.

User's recommendation: Never travel with them.

Service
Norwegian Air Shuttle Asa Baggage Policy
Pros
  • Prices are good
Cons
  • Any kind of customer service is terrible
Full refund

From Heaven to *** lost luggage and careless support

Norwegian Air Shuttle Asa - From Heaven to *** lost luggage and careless support
Travelled from Rome to Los Angeles. We checked in 2 suitcases and both were missing in USA. Filed the report and after 3 days they: 1. Have no clue on location of luggage 2. Do not reply to emails 3. Do not answer contact number in US 4. Have no plan for future and just say to wait to our friend calling the european contact number Vacations are being spoiled for lack of professionalism, courtesy, customer care! Never again flying with Norwegian!!!

I had the same problem (ROME-LAX), after 10 days of waiting I got my baggage. Now I'm trying to get the refund of the items I had to buy meanwhile waiting for my delayed baggage but it says the PIR is invalid.

May you email me if you are able to help please? edoardospadoni2002@***.com

ID
#1592047 Review #1592047 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Los Angeles, California
Service
Norwegian Air Shuttle Asa Baggage Policy
Pros
  • On board service
Cons
  • Ground handling
Poor customer service
Preferred solution
Deliver product or service ordered

Indignant as a consumer

Norwegian Air Shuttle Asa - Indignant as a consumer
This is my first time purchasing a flight with Norwegian Air and it will be definitely my last time. My flight is in December and I already know it will be a disaster because of my current experience already. I purchased a ticket in September and after a few weeks, I received an e-mail saying that the flight has been canceled so they will help passengers look for "solutions" either refunding or looking for an alternative flight. I called and changed my flight, looking for an alternative flight, but the next day I realized I was charged an additional ticket that was over 800€ to my card without my authorization, which is illegal. It's already November and I have not received any refund. I've reached to them via email, phone, chat, and Facebook. They give me no solution other than telling me that my process will take about 2-4 weeks but it's been more than 4 weeks already. I have all the emails we've exchanged (attached but there's more), screenshots from the chats and Facebook comments, bank (plus interests for an illegal charge) and phone statements with every single charge this airline has caused me and we're talking about more than $1,000 dollars already. I demand a solution asap or I'm definitely taking legal action.
Barcelona, Catalunya
Return, Exchange or Cancellation Policy
Full refund

I checked in at airport, then missed flight due to illness. Airline won't refund.

Dan PerriJune 1, 2018 Nancy Jane Wall Norwegian Air Booking reference 38ZESW Los Angeles - London Gatwick 22 May 2018 Dear Sirs, After checking in at 1530 and while waiting at LAX Airport One World lounge for our flight (22 May 2018 flight DI7096) to London, Gatwick Airport, I became ill with severe stomach and chest pains. The pains persisted and increased until my wife called Airport paramedics who examined me and finally advised me - and insisted - that I not board our flight. This was more than one hour before the scheduled departure time of 1930 hours. Most importantly, you should be aware I had had serious open heart surgery in May 2016, and was fearful of a possible heart attack. Enclosed is a copy of my heart valve replacement certification that I must always carry with me. I was not at all thinking of anything, especially new travel plans, but focusing on my immediate health, stomach/chest pains and the severe anxiety of my deteriorating condition. The paramedics were indeed attentive, and they kept stressing that I should not fly out of fear of my condition worsening and that the plane may be diverted to take me to a hospital. It was a very traumatic experience. There happened to be a medical doctor nearby in the lounge who kindly questioned me and agreed with the paramedics advice not to fly. One World Lounge personnel were nearby, observing my treatment. Finally, my wife and I advised them that I could not fly. They took our boarding passes and presented them to the Norwegian desk to inform them of my unrelenting pain and nausea. This led to our unfortunate and unforeseen cancelation of and our inability medically to fly on flight DI7096. This was more than one hour before flight time – complying with your requirement of notification of cancellation. We had met the requirements - and felt safe that our tickets were preserved for use at a later date. Additionally, My wife and I purchased these tickets over two years ago and – due to our combined continued health problems - had to cancel and re-book four prior times and have paid over $2,500 in change fees. In fact, the morning of the flight on 22 May – concerned about my wife's health and the possibility of not flying – I phoned Norwegian Air asking about when I must notify to cancel a flight. I was told up to 30 minutes before departure. I was NOT told about requiring re-booking before that 30 minute time in order to to preserve the tickets. After feeling well enough the next day and after being examined and consulted by my doctor - whose written note is enclosed - I phoned Norwegian Air to inquire about setting new travel dates and I was told that the outbound flight was gone and no longer had any value. I had apparently lost nearly $3,000. I was further told – after the fact when nothing could be done about it -- that I had until 30 minutes before flight time to RE-BOOK and pay a change fee to preserve the value of the outbound tickets. If I had felt well enough in that one hour time frame while experiencing the severe pain and illness – and been advised by Norwegian Air personnel - or had the presence of mind - I might have been able to figure out a new travel date to change to and re-booked at that time. However, during that time period the paramedics were wheeling me in a wheel chair to the waiting ambulance outside the airport entrance where I was put on a gurney, loaded and rushed to nearby Centinela Hospital where I remained for several hours. Further, when picking up our bags at the counter before entering the ambulance, Norwegian Air representatives should have attempted the kindness and professionalism, to advise us that not re-booking at that time would have voided our outbound tickets. As a result of this incident, I request that the value of our Premium class outbound tickets for my wife and myself be reinstated and allowed to be used towards a future flight on your 787 Dreamliner. Further, due to my illness and cancellation, we also missed Norwegian Air flight D82908, 23 May 2018 Ref. LKMUTM, London Gatwick - Copenhagen, that we were to take upon our arrival at London Gatwick, on 23 May. We request the value of those tickets be reinstated for future use. Along with the loss of the flight and the enormous disappointment of losing our vacation, we are trying to re-plan the same trip for some time in September and would need to apply the value of these outbound tickets to our new itinerary. We will be cancelling the original return flight on 8 June and re-booking those tickets for our new outbound trip LA/London Gatwick tentatively planned for 9 September and returning 26 September. Thank you for your kind attention. We look forward to a resolution of this matter. Sincerely, Dan Perri Nancy Jane Wall The airline refused to refund the cost of the flight or reinstate the value of the tickets for future use.
Los Angeles, California
Return, Exchange or Cancellation Policy
Preferred solution
Let the company propose a solution

The trip to *** by Norwegian Airlines

We are artists and were invited to an art symposium by Austevoll Kunstforening from August 9-16. We decided to spend two days in Madrid prior to this to go to the museums and for inspiration before painting from the Norwegian landscape. We got to Madrid right on schedule. Even with the jetlag we had a wonderful two days prowling the Prado and drawing from paintings by the great Spanish masters. Then we had booked our flight from Madrid to Bergen with Norwegian. This was the biggest mistake ever. Our flight DY5405 was supposed to leave at 8:00 in the morning on August 7, so we got up at 4 am after sleeping 4 hours, still jetlagged and on NY time and left the hotel at 5 am to arrive two hours early at the airport. We were in line and ready to check in by 6 am. Along with a full flight of people we sat and watched all the people going to Hamburg at the same time with no trouble checking in, but no one arrived to the check in counter for our London flight. There was no information given at any time and no person present at the Norwegian desks would even speak to us passengers waiting to check in for the London flight. The people checking in the Hamburg flight would only say that they were not representatives for Norwegian and could not help us. As we sat wondering aloud with other London- bound passengers on line what was going on, our scheduled departure time came and went. Finally we went to the Swissport counter to proactively check with the representative there and were finally informed by a seemingly irritated representative that there was no flight though she said she could not provide any information whatsoever as to why. We had pretty much figured that out by now, but hoped for some information on what would be our next step. This lady who by the way is not a representative for Norwegian said we would have to call Norwegian to have our continuing flight to Bergen changed as we had obviously missed it. So we waited for another customer ahead of us in line to get off the phone and then we called Norwegian. The Norwegian representative on the telephone said that we were confirmed on a flight to Bergen the following morning. We asked her about hotel arrangements for our newly scheduled London layover and she said, just a minute and then hung up. We went back to the check in counter where finally a Norwegian representative had arrived and got boarding passes for a flight to London at 00.50 am (12.50). This Norwegian rep would offer no information about why our flight had been cancelled. He offered to check our bags then but anticipating trouble, we opted to keep our bags until we came back to check in for the rescheduled flight. The Norwegian representative offered a complimentary hotel stay in Madrid at that time and said there was a bus that was supposed to take us there. But the representative couldn’t tell us where the bus was or provide any other information about how we should find it. Therefore it was completely unclear where the bus was leaving from, what it looked like or where the hotel was. So we gave up looking for the bus and took a taxi back to the Hotel Paseo del Arte in the city for the day. Luckily they were completely accommodating and understanding and really took great care of us. Thankfully - because we were absolutely exhausted after only 4 hours sleep combined with jetlag, plus completely baffled by the lack of professionalism on the part of Norwegian airlines. At 10 pm (22.00) we took a taxi back to the airport and got on line again. This time we got our luggage checked in and got to the gate. Then time got close to boarding time and then passed. Again, no one from Norwegian Airlines or on behalf of Norwegian Airlines appeared at the boarding counter and again there were no announcements and no information. So again, we and our fellow flight of passengers (including elderly people, one woman in a wheelchair, and many young children) were left in a completely helpless situation waiting for hours as our intended flight time came and went. Finally, well past 1:30 am an airport representative arrived to say only in Spanish that they were trying to reach someone from Norwegian to find out what was going on. It was now 20 hours since we first got up to catch this flight to London. Luckily one of the other passengers was able to translate for the English speaking passengers. Another hour passed as we all waited anxiously before an airport representative finally returned to inform us that there was an incoming flight that would take us to London. At 2:30 am we were finally able to board a plane with a seemingly exhausted and irritated crew. The captain of the flight then came on the intercom apologizing on behalf of Norwegian Airlines for our horrendous day and saying that “We’re all very tired too and have flown here from Oslo in our spare time to take you all back to London.” We found his statement to be an offensive insult to injury – as though he was some sort of hero who had come to rescue us in his spare time. We arrived in London at 4 am that morning. Of course there was no one there to help us with the London layover hotel room that had been assured by the person at the counter in Spain or any other information regarding the next leg of our trip to Bergen, Norway. The representative at the Norwegian counter informed us that “I do not work for Norwegian. I’m sorry, but I can’t help you. You’ll have to speak to the person at the airport information counter.” So we asked, “Can we please speak to your supervisor?” She took us to another rep at the Norwegian counter who repeated the first person’s sentiment, “I’m sorry but I can’t help you. You’ll have to speak to the person at the airport information counter.” After waiting 45 minutes in line at the airport information counter, where we witnessed passenger after passenger struggling for assistance with a very irritated airport information rep, we finally had our turn at the counter. The airport information rep phoned Norwegian on our behalf to ask about the hotel room we had been promised by the Norwegian rep in Spain. We stood listening, Airport information rep: “I have two Norwegian Airlines passengers here from Madrid who say that they were promised a hotel room during their London layover. Can you please help?” Then silence as she sat looking up at us and listening to the person on the other end. “Well, their next flight is in four hours. They want to rest a little and freshen up. They look completely exhausted.” Silence as she listens. And then, “Okay.” Then she hung up the phone and said to us, “I’m sorry. There’s nothing I can do. You’ll have to find a place to wait in the airport.” And that was that. So without any other direction, we lay down on an airport bench and tried to sleep. After about 15 minutes someone who worked for Gatwick Airport came and rudely said “You can’t sleep here. You need to exit the airport and check back in, find your gate and wait there.” So beyond exhausted, sweaty, frustrated, and delirious we drag ourselves through the airport, security check and get to the check in counter again for Norwegian. We ask for claim forms and for the hotel we were promised. They say they are not representatives for Norwegian and can’t help us. Finally the flight to Bergen is announced. It ends up being 30 min late, but we get there at noon on Aug 8., about 22 hours later than planned. Of course, our luggage is lost. It is now 24 hours after we arrived in Bergen. I have called the number on the papers we got from the lady at the counter at the lost luggage counter 20 times and every time it goes to voice mail. I have left many messages as well. I finally get to a place where I can check online and I see that our luggage is not even located. 24 hours later, it is still reported as missing. If it is still in Madrid or in London or where it might be we have no idea. We have not heard from anyone. We had to buy new toiletries and some clothing for both of us, not sure if we will ever get a hold of anyone to get any money back from any of this. And we mean - the extra food, taxis, clothing etc. We have tried to call every phone number on the Norwegian website, but we have not been able to reach anyone. Tomorrow we are supposed to start painting at the kunst symposium, but it will be hard to do without paint, paper, canvas, brushes, painting clothes etc. This is all on our lost luggage. Next Saturday, we are supposed to attend a reception in Bergen where the paintings that we’re supposed to make over the 6 days we have to paint here are supposed to be displayed. Even the Mayor of Austevoll is going to be there. We’re already a day and a half into our 6 days and we still have no idea where our stuff is and have not been able to reach anyone from Norwegian for assistance. The whole situation is absolutely unbelievable ridiculous. Neither of us have felt more helpless and met more of a F-U attitude by any company ever – and we live in NYC!
Bergen, Hordaland
Poor customer service
$2000
Preferred solution
Full Refund, Luggage Delivered or Refunded, New trip to Bergen from New York with hotel stay

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article